You rely on your IT staff to keep things running smoothly, and to be there quickly when things go wrong. Below are five simple tips to help them fix your problems quickly so you can both be productive and efficient.
- Details: When you have a support request, have as much detail as possible. Screenshots from when the problem occurred and specifics about the problem are a great start.
- If your system is not completely dead, don’t say that everything is down. Does the computer have power? Is it simply a lack of internet access, inability to receive/send email, etc.? Again, be specific as to what is really happening.
- Don’t yell at the IT guy (unless it’s really necessary). He’s doing everything he can to keep your outdated junk up and running.
- The IT guy actually enjoys what he does for a living- except when people are asking for the impossible to be accomplished with no budget. Try not to be a pain in the butt and you’ll get a much better response.
- If the IT department is doing its job, it may look like they’re not working. But remember that in order to keep your system working like a well-oiled machine, they’re up all night doing updates and upgrades to keep everything operating smoothly during the workday.
Submitted by Hugh, Systems Engineer